Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy New Year!

I did a quick double-take yesterday when I passed a store display of New Year's hats, horns, and other party items. Then I remembered that not everyone has the same celebrations - it the Chinese New Year.

February 3rd begins the year of the rabbit and marks the beginning of the most important of the traditional Chinese holidays. Although the holiday actually occurs in winter, in China it's called the Spring Festival. Chinese families are gathering for their annual reunion dinner - "Eve of the Passing Year" - the year of the tiger.

I admit the store display prompted me to do a little research - thought I'd share.











4 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing these gorgeous chinese new year
    photos. beautiful.

    i am going to put out some food for the starving and
    freezing animals from this terrible blizzard. thanks for
    the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, I have to admit I am not up on Chinese traditions. I get that each year is marked by a different animal...What is the year of the Rabbit? Have a great day! ~ Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a Happy New Year to you my friend! I have been reading that this Year of the Rabbit is supposed to be a very peaceful one, let's keep our fingers crossed!
    Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A peaceful New Year to us all.

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!