Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dessert

My husband participates in an annual Chili Cook Off - no prize money, it's just for fun and a paper crown. I take a dessert, and of course, cast my vote for his famously delicious chili - I will share that recipe someday, too. But today, I thought I'd share the new dessert recipe I've decided to take. I haven't tried it yet, but I can't image how anything called Chocolate Brownie S'mores being anything but fabulous - at least the children will like it.





Ingredients
Crust:
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • Pinch fine salt
Brownie:
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 4 large cold eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
Topping:
  • 4 cups large marshmallows
Directions
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8 by-8-inch square baking pan with foil so it hangs over the edges by about 1 inch.
For the crust: Lightly butter the foil with some of the melted butter. Stir the rest of the butter together with the crumbs, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Press the crumb mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the brownie batter. Add the butter and chocolate together in a microwave safe bowl.  Use medium power setting to microwave for 2 minutes.  Stir, and microwave again until completely melted, about 1-2 minutes more.   Alternate method: put the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan filled with 1 inch or so of water to a very slow simmer; set the bowl on the pan without touching the water. Stir occasionally until melted.
Once butter and chocolate are melted, stir the light brown and white sugars, vanilla and salt into the melted chocolate. Add the eggs and beat vigorously to make a thick and glossy batter. Add the flour and stir until just incorporated.
Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top is crispy and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean, with a few crumbs, about 40 to 45 minutes.
Remove from the oven and arrange marshmallows on top. Toast under broiler until golden - watch closely, this only takes 1-2 minutes. Cool on a rack, and then gently remove the brownies from the pan and foil lining.  Cut into squares. Enjoy!







4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you had me at the photo Rita LOL!! This sounds delicious, enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rita,
    I am not a dessert person but, if I do indulge, then this is it.....it looks delicious.
    Wish your husband well with his chilli. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance that you could post the No Fat version of this beauty Rita. MOTH's record-braking cholesterol levels will thank you.
    Millie x
    P.S. Looking forward to Mr. Rita's prize nudging chilli recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I can feel the arteries hardening already...but YUM!

    I've awarded you with a Stylish Blogger Award Rita, please pop over to http://woodgatebeach.blogspot.com/2011/01/birds-at-woodgate-and-award.html to collect :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!