Thursday, December 9, 2010

Resilience

Whether you knew her, knew of her, agreed with her politics, or have no knowledge of her, Elizabeth Edwards is/was a lady to be admired. I was not a fan, but a neutral on-looker of her life made public by her husband John Edwards, a former U.S. Senator. During the last ten years of her life she dealt - very publicly - with political campaigns, her husband's infidelity, news that her husband fathered a child during an extramarital affair, all while suffering from terminal breast cancer.

Elizabeth Edwards was first and foremost a mother, an attorney, a design decorator, and author of two books - “Saving Graces: Finding Solace and Strength from Friends and Strangers,” a book about life after the death of her 16 year-old son Wade and her illness; and “Resilience: Reflections on the Burdens and Gifts of Facing Life’s Adversities.”

I actually knew little about Elizabeth Edwards until I picked up a copy of her second book, "Resilience," in an airport bookstore two years ago. I thought it would be a good 'beach read' and I was not disappointed. In fact, my husband read it, too. Since then, I have purchased copies to give to friends. It's on my favorite books list, and it's on my 'required reading list' for my children, and someday for my grandchildren. 

You won't regret the time spent reading this book. "Resilience"












Elizabeth Edward's furniture store - Red Window - in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.






5 comments:

  1. As a couple, they were not well known over here at all, in fact they were probably only known for the affair etc.

    I was saddened and shocked to read of her death yesterday though - she sounded like a lady of great dignity as well as many other things. I shall take a look at her book, thank you for the recommendation.

    Happy December to you Rita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resilience is a good thing. Thanks for the suggestion. I will read it.
    Sorry to hear of her passing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a new garden chair and was looking for a good book with substance to read whilst lying on said chair. This looks like it!! Thanks for the tip...

    ReplyDelete
  4. * I'm a little suprised to be so VERY, TOTALLY saddened at Elizabeth's passing~~~While our politics were polar opposites, the dignity with which she eventually handled the disgusting, inexcusable actions of that supposed "husband of hers" were impressive, and I suspect I would have liked her, as a person, had I the chance to know her... just as I know I would/could NEVER wish to meet "him".

    Ny biggest heartbreak is for her children~~~ so very sad for them, as in many ways, they lost BOTH of their parents.

    I will definitely read her last book.

    Thanks,
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rita,

    I do pray for a cure for breast cancer, all cancer! I was saddened also to hear the news of her death and will be interested to read her book.

    My heart goes out to her children and friends.

    Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!