Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Friendship

Found this in my inbox and it just seemed like something worth passing on.

Fable of the porcupine

It was the coldest winter ever - many animals died because of the cold.  The porcupines, realizing the situation, decided to group together.  This way they covered and protected themselves; but the quills of each one wounded their closest companions even though they gave off heat to each other.  After a while they decided to distance themselves one from the other and they began to die, alone and frozen.  So they had to make a choice: either accept the quills of their companions or disappear from the Earth.  Wisely, they decided to go back to being together.  This way they learned to live with the little wounds that were caused by the close relationship with their companion, but the most important part of it, was the heat that came from the others. This way they were able to survive.

Moral of the story:
The best relationship is not the one that brings together perfect people, but the best is when each individual learns to live with the imperfections of others and can admire the other person's good qualities.









Too cute not to share.

12 comments:

  1. Precious little long-eared hedgehog! I do not think that I have ever seen one and certainly not photos like this. You made me smile for sure!

    Have you read The Elegance of the Hedgehog? Originally written in French was beautifully translated and published in English in 2008.

    Merci!
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that is just the cutest little thing i have
    ever seen! and what an apt tale of friendship.
    each of my dear friends have had prickly
    moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. I didn't think of them as having ears really.... How cute...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely fable, Rita and something to live by.... and that is just the sweetest thing that I've seen in a long time !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. ADORABLE!!!!!!! Look at the sweetest lil' feet! CHEERS! Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. * That is T*H*E CUTEST, most ADORABLE, SWEETEST-LOOKING little being!!! I'm a STAUNCH ANIMAL LOVER, & have NEVER seen a baby hedgehog til just now~~~ seeing him/her just WARMS MY HEART, like the story did!!!!

    I am SOOO GLAD you shared this... ALL of it!!!

    Warmest thanks, Rita!

    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. I have never seen anything like this. How precious!

    I love the fable too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for such a sweet and thought provoking story and the most precious photos ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A difficult lesson to learn Rita, but one that brings much happiness if mastered.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first posted a comment, I could only see the photos and not the beautiful story of friendship. So glad I came back to see another peek.

    Bon weekend,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must admit these pictures changed my thoughts about porcupines, too.

    Genie - I'll have to find a copy of the book.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow....they are so incredible cute!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!