Sunday, October 17, 2010

BWO

Thanks to Tiffini at Tartx


logo

Blogging Without Obligation by Tiffini

After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone’s blog starting with “I’m sorry I haven’t posted in awhile.” I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one should utter those words again . . .and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation.  If you feel the same way feel free to grab the logo, make a logo or whatever you would like to do!  Because you shouldn’t have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill.
  • Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine. Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine.
  • Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing.
  • Because sometimes less is more.
  • Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog.
  • Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat, link and comment numbers on your tombstone.
  • Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be “bloggable”.
  • Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won’t be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time. . .
 I release all the logos, thoughts and words mentioned here about this concept into the public domain. Take the idea and run with it...or walk away... It is all good. 

7 comments:

  1. SO BRILLIANTLY PUT.....I totally agree.

    In my head I like the idea of blogging every day, but it rarely happens. Some days I just don't feel like writing - and I also keep the idea of integrity and substance at the forefront of my mind - and so I just don't post that day. Which is just fine with me, I never want to feel under pressure to write, to me that defeats the object of my blog.

    I laughed out loud at the "tombstone" comment - well put :)

    Thank you for sharing this Rita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I think that people forget that blogging really is about having your own personal web space to say whatever comes into their head. It's (not usually) a job so it should always be fun and make you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!!! I feel guilty when so many blogs I love post everyday and I am getting by with 2 a week. But then again, I would rather spend those two hours on the couch with my husband watching football then making a possible $1 in advertising. Plus, you are right, blogging is a hobby! Not my job!! xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree, blogging is just a small part of our lives (usually). Obligation takes away all the fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you I added your sign to my site to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rita~

    I don't even blog, and I COULD NOT AGREE with you MORE!!! May I simply be outright & honest, as "just a reader", and say I wish MORE people felt that way???

    First, nobody is "keeping score"... Second, it's pretty obvious when a new posting is written out of some misguided "sense of guilt". Third, when I read an opening like that, I often "exit" pretty quickly, as SOME people just, as you said, like to hear the noise on their keyboard & don't really have anything "valuable" or "interesting" to write/contribute at the moment...

    Personally, I'd rather "MISS" someone's blog (as in "Hope all is well... wish you were here!"), than DELETE myself as a follower... but I DO try to "exit gracefully" when I'm not getting much out of a particular blog. That's normal for anyone/everyone, I'm sure...

    SOOO, my friend, IMHO, YOU HIT THE PROVERBIAL "NAIL on the HEAD" here... KUDOS, KIDDO!!!~~~ This was an excellent "voicing/sharing of your views" and yet "HONESTLY and"GENTLY" stated!!!

    P.S. There are MANY of us who DO not, or CANnot blog, for a VARIETY of reasons, but I hope you ALLLLL know that YOU BLOGGERS REEEALLY ARRRRE APPRECIATED, ADMIRED for your efforts(!!!), and I guess "ESPECIALLY" by non-bloggers... we are AWARE it takes MUUUCH time & your personal attention!!!

    Warmest wishes & as always, "THANK YOU",
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!