Friday, April 23, 2010

A Toast To Happiness




I read a tidbit somewhere a few weeks ago about the key factors of being happy and it immediately made me think of blogging. I could relate each factor to myself and to my virtual friends. I thought of all of the wonderful connections, bonds, friendships I’ve made through blogging. I am so grateful I can go into my little, private world each day and find people who share their heart, their passion, and positive thoughts, and how those things have given me such pleasure. At the same time, those same people allow me to do the same, which has given me a sense of fulfillment at this stage in life. Blogging has allowed me to live my dreams and passions, and it has allowed me to see and appreciate the priceless things in life - everything from creative writing talent to a great view of a rainy morning in Paris. Being connected with other bloggers has most definitely added to my happiness.

See if you relate to the happiness factors:

Connecting - Relationships are essential for happiness. Connecting and sharing with other people keeps us going, even in the tough times

Gratitude - Learning to be thankful for the big and the small things in live. In comparison, most people have a great life. Living a life that sees the glass half full rather than half empty makes for more happiness.

Passion - Living what you love obviously leads to more happiness. Even when there are things in life that aren't so fun, an unfulfilling job, finding ways to live your passion will lead to more happiness. Time spent, even minutes a day, doing the things give us pleasure, feed our soul, and give us meaning are important to being happy.

Seek simple pleasures - At a certain age, most people realize that money doesn't buy happiness. Learning to appreciate and treasure life's simple pleasures - a beautiful sunset, a really great cup of coffee, watching children laugh, puppies play, appreciate a piece of art or music - these pleasures are priceless.

I didn't realize it, but this is my 100th post. I guess it was fitting that I wrote about happiness gained from blogging - a coincidence, but very apropos.




16 comments:

  1. I think you're so right, and I particularly like your term "little private world" for your blogging. My blogging moments are very enjoyable and precious, but most of all they are mine. I think my family is still surprised that Mum is doing something for herself -altho' they're very positive about it.
    For me blogging is all good news, and another joy to be savoured in the day.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers back to you! May your days always be filled with happines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your insights. It's true for me, as well, that blogging provides that opportunity for connection, and the other three of your happiness factors are primary in blogging as well; I've found that participating in the blogging community reinforces my own passions for reading, writing, decorating, crafts, etc., and visiting others' blogs sends me to many examples of enjoying simple pleasures. All of the blogs I enjoy abound in gratitude, and that's contagious! On those "not so perfect" days, I can go to my blog reader and find plenty to be thankful for through the beautiful photographs and thoughtful posts. Annie Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rita,
    Happy 100th post! It is wonderful to blog and even better when it brings you such happiness. It is your own private world and a very pretty one too. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel just the same way. Blogging is so rewarding in so many ways. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 100th post, dear friend!
    And I couldn't agree with you more about the happiness that blogging can bring into your life, it continues to surprise me everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear rita,

    congratulations on your 100th post! they have all
    been just fabulous.

    i feel the same as you. it is difficult to explain to
    those who don't blog, how wonderfully fulfilling
    it is.

    blessings,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Rita,
    Many congratulations on your 100th post. A great acheivement.
    It is so lovely to hear about the joy that you have got from blogging.
    My favourite part is meeting such lovely and like-minded people and becoming friends, even though we may never meet.
    Have a wonderful weekend filled with even more happiness. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonjour Rita,
    COngratullations on your 100th fabulous post - each one has been a pleasure for us to read. I agree 100% about the special joys of blogging. Here's to 100 more Rita,
    Wishing you a happy weekend,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rita
    Congratulations on your 100th post!!! funny how blogging just takes hold and opens up new worlds full of people with similar passions.. I know for me it has inspired me to get creative again.. and has been a real life saver to have this connection with my new 'virtual friends'. I just celebrated my 1yr anniversary.. .... Heres to your next 100 beautiful posts and more joy to come .. xx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful and just so spot-on. I feel the same way exactly. What are those lovely little drinks in the pic? And, may I please use your words in my post, of course, I'll tell everyone where it came from. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with all those things. Thanks for reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on reaching your 100th post! I agree, I see blogging as a way to share my world, my thoughts and my creativity. It still amazes me that I can reach out to people all over the world and touch their lives occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rita - I so agree that the blog world is enormously interesting and validating. I think its great that you have recognised it so well and in sync with your 100th post! LB x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your 100th post!!!! Gratitude, it can change your whole outlook!

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!