Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spring Fever

The sun-protected patches of snow on the north side
of my lawn remind me that it's still winter - and more
snow is predicted.  Needless to say, I am more
than ready for spring.

One of my favorite ways to coax spring to come a little
earlier is to bring branches from my flowering shrubs
and trees indoors.  With a little nurturing, I can mimic
springtime and the branches will provide weeks of
beautiful blooms to help me survive the final days of winter.



Most flowering woody plants are out of dormancy and beginning to form buds by early March. Once you see the formation of buds, the branches are perfect for cutting.  Pick an afternoon when the temperature is above freezing.  Use clean, sharp pruning sheers to cut branches.  Make cuts at an angle to help branches draw water. I like my branches to be at least 18 -30 inches long.  Immediately place cut branches in lukewarm water.


Once branches are inside, use a hammer to gently smash the bottom inch of the branches to help with water absorption.  This can also be accomplished by cutting vertical slits in the bottom inch of the branches.

Remove any buds or leaves that will be underwater.  Place the container of branches in a cool room, out of direct sunlight for a few days.  Mist branches or wrap with plastic to help branches stray moist while they adjust to the new environment.  After a couple of days remove the branches from the water, re-cut ends and arrange in a vase of cool water.  Change the water in the vase regularly.  Once the blooms are out, the vase can be moved to a sunnier location.  Enjoy!




 Images GoogleSearch  Country Living

11 comments:

  1. I think you have a beautiful house and i love the advice you give regarding how to cut branches and leave them in your home as an ornament. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shame the tulips eluded you...a few more weeks and I am sure they will be there! Lovely photos...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita - thank you so much for this - I love spring blossoms in the house but I obviously haven't been tending them correctly - now I know how it should be done...I shall look forward to seeing their lovely fragility in my vases in a few weeks...love these photos...wishing you a wonderful week.....x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour Rita,
    Thank you for all this wonderful information; I will try this. A little early Springtime sounds good to me.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful photos Rita.

    I am SO ready for spring....we had sleet and snow today!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. every year i promise myself i will force some forsythia...
    and never do it. i'm pitiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could share some of our long, warm, languid last days of Summer with you Rita. Have courage, Spring will be with you soon. I love your blossom post, so full of hope & optimism.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait, my wife does a nice job with cut flowers around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the advice Rita, the blossoms look so pretty. I will have to remember your tips when Spring rolls around.
    Nellie xx

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!