Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Helleborus

Helleborus. Such a name for something so beautiful
and delicate. Maybe that's why they have been
given a second name - Lenten Roses.

According to Barry Glick, owner of Sunshine Farm and Gardens,  "No matter where you live, whether you make your home in the snowy American Heartland, warm subtropical Florida, the frozen mountains of Maine, sunny southern California, or the moist Pacific Northwest, you can grow flowers like these in your own backyard. Even if you believe that you're cursed with a "Black Thumb", you will succeed. That's how easy they are. Not only will they grace your table with beautiful cut flowers, they'll provide color in your landscape at a time when there virtually is none. And....they're such long lived perennials that they'll still be thriving when they plant you in the ground"

This all sounds too good to be true, but I personally know gardeners who attest to the claims Barry makes regarding these little beauties. Not only are they beautiful, but they essentially require little care once planted.


Lenten Rose (Helleborus orientalis), originally from the Caucasus mountains, bloom during the Christian celebration of Lent, hence the name. To me, the most amazing fact is that they bloom in late winter - March through May, when very few other flowees can take the frigid temperatures.The shiny foliage of the plant creates a wonderful ground cover during the non-blooming months. Needless to say, these will be on my shopping list for spring planting.

 
 


 

  
  
Imagine having six acres of these beautiful flowers in your backyard.  
Sunshine Farm and Gardens has a great sale on mature plants and will ship.


Image Sources - Southern Living   Sunshine Farm Website

12 comments:

  1. Oh Rita
    How gorgeous they are!! I don't know if I have seen them here.. i will have to check it out!! and have to agree.. Lenten Roses rolls off the tongue a little easier... Thanks for the beauty today!! Doesn't that girl above have the most beautiful natural smile!! xx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh how lovely - I do love Helleborus. They naturally turn their blooms downwards so they different growing wild to when they are up-turned in a vase....so they are versatile little flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Rita, what a wonderful post. Informative and filled with lots of lovely photos. I am off to learn more. Thanks for the tip!
    Jeanne:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rita,you make me smile this morning...thanks you for so very beautiful post.
    Here, they are still cold and we wish that the spring comes, with your flowers today it's more nearby.
    Have a nice day.
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful collection of pictures ! I once had some in my garden, but I fear they disappeared because of too little shade and too much sun in Summer.I want more SPRING now :-))
    kind regards, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANKS for the mention, if any of your readers would like to have some of my Hellebores, they can email me directly at barry@sunfarm.com
    Cheers
    Barry Glick
    www.sunfarm.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rita - I just love these - they are one of the first things to appear in Spring here in the U.K & they just look divine with all the bulbs...thank you for this..x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're so pretty...and make me think of Switzerland, for some unknown reason!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty, sounds perfect for me - I've been working on my green thumb. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our Winter Roses gather under our big old Oaks, but they haven't fared well this long, hot dry Summer. I'm hoping they'll bounce back as they look such a treat in Winter garden devoid of much colour.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. your blog is always amazing...but those hellebores photos
    are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aloha,
    lovely, so nice to drop in and visit,
    you always enchant me with your posts,
    sending sunshine from Hawaii
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!