Monday, September 14, 2009

I Miss Erma



There are certain people - friends, family, teachers, actors - who touch our heart in a way that makes us wish everyone could have the opportunity to know and experience them. I'm afraid the generation touched by Erma Bombeck is ending, and the young women from this point forward will have missed out on some of the best advice and 'real life' humor. I found the following in a random file and thought it was worth sharing (It makes me smile).



IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck (written after she found out she was dying from cancer).


  • I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

  • I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

  • I would have talked less and listened more.

  • I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.

  • I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

  • I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

  • I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

  • I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

  • I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.

  • I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

  • I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

  • Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

  • When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, 'L ater. Now go get washed up for dinner.' There would have been more 'I love you's' More 'I'm sorry's.'

  • But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute. look at it and really see it . . Live it and never give it back. STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!

11 comments:

  1. She certainly was one of a kind. I think she inspired many women without them even realizing it. I believe her words should live on because they are so relevant no matter what age.
    P.S. Thank you for your visit. It is tough finding quiet time. There is something about Sunday's that make me slow down. For a little while any way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to enjoy living today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over visiting from Melissa's Heart and Home...I saw Erma's picture and knew I had to see your blog!

    I am a HUGE Erma fan, my grandmother always loved her and passed her books on to me. Everytime I read them, I laugh and cry at the same time. I am in my early 40's and wish that all women had the chance to read her words of wisdom and inspiration.

    Thanks for the great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved to read anything that she wrote. She cracked me up when she said gravy should be a beverage. What a funny lady she was.
    Thanks for your visit and comment today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog :-). I love reading this 'poem' again and again. It makes you value God's gift of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the visit & the comment! Love your header...it is all about finding the joy & blessing in each day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectly said. I loved the title of one of her books (or maybe it was an essay), "When you start looking like your passport photo, it's time to come home." Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very inspiring post Rita!

    Thank you for your words of encouragement. They mean more to me than I can even put into words here. I have been so embarassed I let it get this out of hand. I must say the healthy food changes this past week are already working which surpreses me that it would start this quickly. We'll be here to encorage each other.

    ~Blessings my friend, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...I love this post!!! So inspiring!!!

    I love the post you did about the color orange!!! It is one of my favorites!!!

    This is my first visit to your blog and I have had the best time!!! I look forward to returning!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. You have me tearing up over here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just found this post dear Rita & loved it. I've been a big Erma fan forever, 'cos she makes light of parenthood, which of course, it should be. And my very favourite Erma quote as the Mother of 5 boys is: 'Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth.'
    She is missed.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!