Monday, September 28, 2009

Finding Joy In Fall

I'm not a fan of fall. I'm not crazy about fall colors, the mess of dropping leaves, cool weather, etc., and I'm certainly not happy that fall means the end to my backyard sanctuary. With the unseasonal rain and mild temperatures we've experienced during the past month, my grass, hydrangeas, ferns, and hedges are at the their peak of perfection...my urns runneth over.

At this point in the season, I don't mind taking cuttings from my hydrangeas, wisteria, nandina berries, and other plantings in order to make fall (I prefer to call them 'late summer') arrangements. The way I look at it, if the change of seasons is going to get them, I'll get them first.

This arrangement was my inspiration for grabbing my pruning shears and to start cutting.



I'm enjoying a beautiful vase of (one of my favorites) lime hydrangeas. They make me smile.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! I love hydrangea too...one of my favorites!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor has those beautiful hydrangeas that hang over my fence...she encourages me to cut them, and I do! Although, I must say that I do LOVE Fall....the colors, the cooler weather, and even the leaves dropping! But...I love every season..when I am sick of one, the next one comes along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With fall comes winter....not a favorite season. I enjoy the warm sun, and the bright colors summer brings.
    Love your blog.
    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I wish I had hydrangeas in my yards. Perhaps that will be the next project! Love the arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers fading does make me sad. I love hydrangeas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your gorgeous Hydrangea flowers Rita! Summer gardens are so lovely at the peak of bloom for sure.

    Many blessings to you today my friend,
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!