Friday, August 14, 2009

A Room With A View

I love outdoor living spaces....I love to look at pictures of outdoor rooms. But, sadly I can't really, totally enjoy what I see because I know, from personal experience - on a small scale - that they are difficult to keep clean...and believe me, I'm not a neat-freak. When I find wonderful pictures of outdoor rooms, I like to look, but spend most of my time trying to determine the surroundings that have the potential to create leaf clutter and dust. The picture below reminds me of the first stage of my arbor room...white, open, airy, loved it...until it rained and the Wisteria started shedding leaves. That's when I added a solid roof over the vine-covered beams. That worked to keep furniture cushions dry and I no longer had an arbor of Wisteria to drop leaves. But, the dust continued to be a problem. In the spring everything in the room, floor to ceiling was green with oak pollen, in the summer it was dust and cobwebs...with leaves. This led to the next stage...screening in the porch. I'm here to tell you that glass maybe the only barrier that can fix the problem. Rather than forfeit the sights, sounds, and smells of the great outdoors, I've not entertained the thought of glass just yet. With glass the outdoor room would just become another indoor room...what's the purpose of that? I think I'm learning to accept dust, shriveled leaves, and a few spiders. Enjoy the views!





















My favorite!

4 comments:

  1. I understand from other friends and family that live in different parts of the US that dust can be a real problem. The area in CA where our daughter lives is so bad they never have the windows open. They are caked with dirt. As soon as they wash the patio table it gets covered, yet again.
    Here in SC we are blessed, as far as that goes. We can't get out some days due to the heat but I love the outdoor space we have and it enjoy it most mornings.
    My hubby regularly sprays around the house so bugs are kept at a minimum.
    Your patio picture looked lovely of the arbor. Is the pic next to it after the screening or do you have an after pic? Would love to see it.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful inspiration photos Rita! ~Lovely.

    Thanks for the info on how to clip the crepe myrtle. It would look so much better trimmed up and clean. It's been raining and raining for here for days it seems. I'm ready for some pretty clear days and crisp fall air. Soon....:)

    Have a blessed weekend my friend.
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita ~ thanks for stopping by my blog! Love your photos, they are beautiful! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby fixed up the crepe myrtle today! Yeah!
    Thank you very much your advice my friend. He also placed a mulch border around it and it looks so much better. :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!