Friday, August 7, 2009

I Want One Of These

Once again, I've found something I really want. I know I've said this before - 'a room of her own' and that adorable 'little camper' (which I still want), and now I want this cozy little cabin in the woods. It's got me ready to run for the hills - Whisper Mountain, North Carolina.


When you see it, you'll want to kick off your shoes, step inside, and claim it for your very own.
I want a get-away retreat.




Whisper Mountain (www.whispermountain.com) is the perfect place, located just a few miles outside Asheville, North Carolina. It offers the best of both worlds - city life / country living. This man-made, natural environment provides miles of hiking paths, ample streams for fishing, and nature provides a plethora of sights and sounds. If you feel the need for a little culture or epicurean cuisine, it's just down the road to the Grove Park Inn, the Biltmore, or the quaint shops in Asheville.


A major goal of the developers was to combine natural, man-made and recycled materials, to build as green and energy efficient as possible. Local products, many right from the Whisper Mountain land were used - rough-cut plank floors, shakes, and logs from the locust and spruce trees and stone from the mountain.





Rustic, cozy little cottages and cabins dot the mountain. Built in a blend of rough-hewn log cabin and Craftsman Style charm. A little primitive, but with sophistication and style. This one, by designer Stephen Chambliss of Pleasant Hill Designs is a Southern Living Home Giveaway. Mr. Chambliss takes the frame of a traditional fishing cabin and uses his talents to style it into the Men's club chic with just enough softness that it's female friendly. Once you see the inside, you will know why his choice for colors and textures, and his selection of furnishings and accessories take it to the next level of fine living cabin-style.



The copper table and brush-black Windsor chairs give a refined feel, while giving casual comfort. The handcrafted, nostalgic, metal cut-out lamp is the perfect size and reflects a lodge-look on a smaller scale.
The rough-hewn beams lining the fireplace frame the copper screen, giving the living room a directed focal point. The leather and nail head chairs and chaise emphasize the desire to make the home comfortable as well as functional. The painting of the family pet reminds us that living here is about 'real' life and the desire to take life a little less seriously.


The island was designed to serve as a small eating area for the family or convert to a buffet when they entertain guests. The color and style of the stools make a seamless transition between the kitchen and the connected dining area. The black stools and burnished ochre color on the walls create a strong contrast for the white wood cabinetry.

A second dining area is on the side porch.

















The master bedroom takes a subtle turn from rustic. The soft texture of the window treatments and the soft butter -colored walls reflect a bit more sophistication. Notice the leather trimmed pillows on the bed - the accent that pulls this room in line with the rest of the house.



The guest bedroom and bathroom continue with the softer color palette, but the rustic mirror above the sink and the leather accent pillows in the bedroom carry the cabin theme.



With a wrap-around porch, almost every door opens out to a private seating area, and in Whisper Mountain, there are no bad views.



This Whisper Mountain retreat was the 2008 Southern Living Giveaway home, and some lucky person gets to live in this amazing cabin created by designer Stephen C. Chambliss. Check out his gallery of projects at http://pheasanthilldesign.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=6

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Rita! How amazing is this little hideaway!!! I want one too!!! I would prefer to WIN it :-) Thanks for this post, made me feel relaxed just looking at the photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~WOW! Rita it really is a beautiful oasis.
    LOVE it! I have always heard Asheville is wonderful.

    Have a blessed weekend.
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita, It's nice to meet you. Thanks for visiting my blog. I just noticed your comment on a previous post of mine.
    I love Asheville. We are not too far from there. We love going up even further to Boone for the cool temperatures when it's this hot out.
    Enjoyed my visit and the the mountain homes you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just blog hopping and found your blog....so glad that I did. Great pictures and what a wonderful place..

    I enjoyed your post and will be back to read more.
    I have a GREAT giveaway going through Sunday night...$100 Surprise Gift....with a little Christmas to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This house is amazing! I can see why you'd want to live there. I've never been to North Carolina but I've heard that it's beautiful. Looks as if the rumors are true!
    I also love your blog site! I have plates and mugs with the little bird and crown on them in my shop. I don't think that I have any pictures of the plates on my website, but I'll try to post some in the gallery over the weekend. Perhaps you have already seen the plates in another store.
    Anyway, your blog site brought a smile to my face and has given me renewed inspiration! Thank you! If you'd like to see my shop, please visit www.someoneshouse.com.

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!