Sunday, July 12, 2009

Where I Go When I'm Crazy

Periodically, I reach a state/frame of mind wanting everything white....everything in my house. The desire typically stems from stress or a messy house - massive clutter. For whatever reason, when my psyche is out of sorts (when my house is really out of order), my yearning turns to wanting everything white. When my house and my schedule are in utter chaos, my need for white takes on a whole new persona - a little farm in the pristine country side. Of course, it's a little white clapboard farm cottage with rolling hills (lush green and manicured), an English country flower garden, several dogs, a cat, and a white goat. Yes, I want a miniature white goat for my imaginary farm, and no, I have no clue why. I can't explain these thoughts...I rarely share these thoughts...but surely someone out there understands/identifies.

I do not have one white room in my house...white wood, but no white walls. I like/enjoy color, but there are times when white seems so orderly, clean, organized that I love it/want it/need it. White rooms just beg for someone to give them the 'white-glove' test, which is the crazy part -I want to live in that white-glove clean house - but I hate housework. That is precisely the reason I've never had, nor wanted a white room in my real world. I can't even keep a white t-shirt clean longer than ten minutes before I've rubbed up against something or dribbled salsa or soda on it.

Those who took a tour
of my backyard during Kelly's Korner Show Us Where You Live may have noticed that all of my plantings and flowers are white...with the exception of the pink Crepe Myrtle I planted this year - I'm already second guessing that choice. White gives me such a wonderful sense of calm - it's like stepping out of a smoke-filled room and taking a deep, clean breathe of fresh air. It's the same felling I get when I purchase a new purse and I
carefully place my basic necessities
in the pouches and zippered pockets - a place for everything, everything is in its place. No clutter. I wish I could get/keep my house clean - white-glove, new purse clean. For now I'll just have sit and look at magazines and try to find pictures of clean houses that make me feel calm.

Ok! Now that I've shared that weird
little tidbit, let me share a few of my favorite white rooms with you...courtesy of


I absolutely love these rooms!


Everything looks so clean. I doubt there is a ring around this tub.
Isn't she precious?

5 comments:

  1. Ah Rita she is darling! I want one now. LOL!

    Your all white idea sounds fresh and wonderful to me as well. The summer heat has me feeling this way. ~Lovely photos and new blog design. I'm enjoying your posts very much.

    My favorite color is red and ohter warm tones but I decorated our master bedroom in cool blues and creamy ivory shades. It's a nice contrast to the rest of the house. ~Restful.

    Have a blessed week. ~Warmly, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 things:

    #1 Did you see all those goats today on the way home? Even Mark commented "Your mom would be in Heaven, I bet she stops there."

    #2 The all white thing was epitomized by Nora Ephron in "Something's Gotta Give" and that house remains as many women's dream house...all white plates, furniture, etc with black wood floors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of the "all white" thing as calming but I think you might be right!!! EVERYTHING changes when clutter abounds in my home or schedule. . .and I think you've hit the nail on the head with the "white theme" thing. . .maybe I just need to find ONE PLACE to retreat to and use white as my color palate. . .hmmmm. With a husband and four kids it would have to be behind lock and key!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the blue and white combination in these rooms. I agree the seem very calming and restful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bathroom. I believe bathrooms are so hard to perfect, and so easy to get wrong.

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!