Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Backyard

I've determined that people either love or hate yard work. For me, the words mowing, edging, feeding, weeding, seeding, watering, clipping, snipping, planting, digging, are music to my ear. Yard work is my insatiable passion. My dream would be 1) to live five-hundred miles farther south so the growing season would be longer, 2) to have stadium lights installed in my backyard so I could work all night. Only those who share this 'love' understand or could even conceive of such a notion.
True gardeners can pinpoint their genetic penchant for gardening on their family tree. My maternal grandmother was quit well known for her beautiful flower beds, and my paternal grandfather farmed by the turn of the moon, everything was planted, pruned, preened according to a set, prescribed time frame. The one I remember and faithfully adhere to has to do with pruning of trees and shrubs...true gardeners love to prune...here's the rule - plants should only be pruned in months containing the letter 'r'... pruning in May, June, July, and August will send most trees and some shrubs into shock.

"God created rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done" Author Unknown. I use rainy days to sort through my gardening magazines and rip out pages to add to my file of future projects. The idea for the sandpit and the fire pit (see pics below) were both rainy-day ideas...both are used regularly.

My back yard makes me smile. I hope you enjoy the tour.

















17 comments:

  1. Your yard is gorgeous! I can tell that it is a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- you would not be able to keep me out of the yard! The landscaping is fantastic. And you must love the sunroom! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I would never leave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your backyard is really beautiful. I love the white hydrangeas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my goodness, you yard is a dream!! I love it, everything!! It's fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the landscaping! Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your hard work has paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh your yard and garden are quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! There are so many fantastic spaces! I could spend hours on that lounger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comment! I've never contempleted having a party out there, but I could see it happening. If we did a LOT of cleaning. :)

    Oh my gosh! If my yard looked that good I would want to spend all night out there too! My mother/grandmothers have gorgeous gardens too. Hopefully some day I'll come into my own. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are blessed to have such a beautiful backyard. What a dreamy utopia. I love all the little retreat areas... the table, the bench, the lounge chairs & the Adirondack chairs (and the pool!). It's a beautiful layout. I would spend as much time possible out there! Thank you for the awesome tour!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous!! Love it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I would live in your backyard if I could!! Absolutely stunning and gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I would LOVE to have your passion for gardening!!! Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!