Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Finding Joy In Each Day

After far too many years of thinking "I'll be happy when...", I finally realized the importance of finding joy in each day. Although I still collect and file (I'm talking labeled files) torn pages from my favorite decorator magazines of fabulous kitchens, to-die-for bathrooms, elegant monogrammed linens, must have closets, attic makeovers, and holiday recipes (to use when I give that 'someday' New Year's Eve buffet), I have learned that I can still dream about those things without feeling that those are the things I need to be happy...to feel true contentment and joy, here and now. I have refocused my thoughts to how blessed I am to be where I am, to have what I have, and most importantly, being amazed at what God has provided.

Thanks to Art Buchwald for reminding us, "The best things in life aren't things".

I admit that I do find joy in 'things' ...I just don't have to have 'things' to make me happy. In my "I'll be happy when..." days, I think the joy came from the shopping and buying. My husband was sure I had missed my true career calling...a corporate purchasing agent. I suspect my need for acquiring things was a release valve for the stress created by my career. Today, my pleasure comes from enjoying the things I have...I now actually use my blue and white Spode for everyday.


My grand daughter (3 yrs) finds her joy in rearranging my crystal rose bowls (while wearing my pearl necklace), and I find joy in watching.

I hope you find your joy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope this made you smile. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!